Sunday, September 14, 2008

Cinnamon stopped living today.
August 1990 - September 14th, 2008

We said our goodbyes Friday before I left for NJ. We looked into each others eyes and we each knew that this was good bye. Bonnie and Dick said they'd keep an eye on him while we were gone and they did indeed. In fact Bonnie called us in the morning to tell us that he'd died because Dick had found him collapsed in the litter box. But when Dick picked him up Cinnamon moved, so Bonnie called us right back to say he was still alive.. Dick put him in his chair and when we arrived this afternoon he was dead. I believe he waited to die until just before we got home so that we could take care of the final act by doing the burying ourselves.

We buried him at home under the apple trees. He used to stare out the window at the birds and other critters that would frequent the bird bath, and feeders there.

One of Cinnamon's favorite sayings was a quote of Kurt Vonnegut:
"So it goes."

One of the things I learned from this feisty cat was that you live 'til you're dead. Then you can get old.

Goodbye friend.

Labels: ,

16 Comments:

Blogger paisley said...

rel,, i am so sorry for your loss,, and so happy that cinnamon is free now... no aged body,, no discomfort ,, life begins again,, it is we that are left behind...

8:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, rel, I'm so deeply sorry for your loss. I think Cinnamon waited until the time was just right to let go - you weren't there to witness it, but you were there in time to care of the final act. Paisley is right, now he is free.

9:30 PM  
Blogger JP/deb said...

As a family that includes four wonderful cats, I understand the special bond these lovely spirits bring into our lives ... many condolences.

I love Cinnamon's favorite quote - what a cool cat.

xx,
JP/deb

9:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweet kitty.

I'm sorry for your loss. Cinnamon lived a good, long life, it seems. I will skritch my kitties a little longer tonight in honor of him.

10:06 PM  
Blogger Churlita said...

I'm sorry you lost your cat. He must have been amazing if he quoted Kurt Vonnegut.

12:05 AM  
Blogger Jellyhead said...

Rel, I'm sorry. A beloved pet becomes almost a family member. You must be missing Cinnamon terribly.

XO Jelly

7:26 AM  
Blogger Elisabeth said...

Sorry about Cinnamon, Rel. Those furry companions of ours become an integral part of our lives, and it's a real heartbreak to see them go.

And Cinnamon was a very cool cat who was familiar with Vonnegut to boot!

7:59 AM  
Blogger Wanderlust Scarlett said...

Oh Rel, my deepest sympathies to you, I'm so sorry to hear this sad news.

It's never easy to let our friends go. I pray you peace.


An aside, I have something for you over at my place.

Scarlett & Viaggiatore

6:04 PM  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

Oh Rel, I'm sorry for your families loss. Cinnamon is no longer in your house but inside your hearts. HUGS

7:04 PM  
Blogger Puss-in-Boots said...

I'm so sorry over your loss of Cinnamon, Rel. It brought Oscar's demise right back and now I've tears in my eyes. Cinnamon lived to a good age and had a good life.

RIP Cinnamon.

7:44 PM  
Blogger Chipper said...

I am happy I got to spend a little time with Cinnamon :) he was such a cute old man cat, now he can rest.

K

10:29 PM  
Blogger Mindy said...

I found your site via the black box widget. I am sorry for your loss. I said goodbye to my 13 year old kitty last year. It is so very difficult.

11:21 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh Rel, I'm so sorry for your loss - Cinnamon looks like he was beautiful as well as feisty. If it's any consolation, and if you look carefully, you'll find he's probably still around - just not in quite the same way.

3:59 AM  
Blogger GreenJello said...

Hello, direct from the Black Box! My choices have seemed to finally match up with yours. :)

My childhood kitty was almost 20 years old when we finally had to say goodbye to her. Nowadays, my children are attached to our two loveable kitties, and I am not looking forward to the day when they, too, will have to say goodbye...

I am sorry for your loss.

10:40 AM  
Blogger Carole Burant said...

Losing a beloved pet is never easy. Giving you a big comforting hug. xoxo

12:16 PM  
Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Beautiful little tribute to a much-loved friend.

5:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home