Thursday, September 18, 2008

__._,_.___


How to change someones political opinion.

The following is an Un-paid political ad, approved by rel.

http://www.speakout.com/index.html


The USA's quadrennial presidential election is fast upon us, and as I browse familiar as well as new blogs I find essentially three camps; the Republican camp and the Democratic camp who at this point in the campaign seem to be even in the polls and of course there is the ~ I don't give shit~ camp. There is also a small smattering of independents, (They are the ones who say that they'll decide on who to vote for based on the issues alone.)

No matter which side I'm exposed to; main stream media, blatant partisan media, bloggers, and face to face, there is a propensity of vitriolic comments, and a paucity of intelligent weighing of issues. Now if you're reading or listening to the view point to which you yourself ascribe then everything sounds reasonable, fair, and logical. On the other hand if you've chosen the opposing camp then what ever you see and hear is lies, mis-statements, same old political posturing and pandering. The real deal seems to be lost in the twisting, tweaking and shadowing the truth. The worst of it all is that at the end of their eloquently stated position the always say: Wake up America or we're doomed!

The political activists, politicians and the various media have succeeded in polarizing the 50-60% of the voting public who actually turn out to cast a ballot. It's like they want the campaign to resemble reality TV programing such as Survivor, or American Idol. Is it any wonder that half the eligible voters in this country disdain the process and shun the voting booth?

Each faction uses the same tactics; personal vilification of the other side's candidates and supporters, to convince you to vote for their side.

Your wasting your breath and your ink if you think that approach will get me to change my mind and I suspect that I'm not alone in that feeling.

*$*$*$*$*$*$*$*$*$*$*

If you want to influence my vote, leave the Tarot cards and whatever psychic abilities you may possess outside the discussion. With the limited information you have first hand knowledge of explain to me why you support your candidate and how you think their election will benefit you and make America a better place for you. Please don't make shit up or shade the truth because I will find out. Don't gossip or embellish facts to try to sway my opinion. I will find out and when I do, your entire argument, even the real truths, falls out the window and I'm less convinced to follow your advice than ever before. And don't try the tear down a candidate's character because of their beliefs for it only diminishes you in my eyes.

Since I've been unable to find an unbiased source of information, I was encouraged when I stumbled across this web-site (http://www.speakout.com/index.html). Therein is provided a quiz that you take to see how your beliefs, wants, and desires match up with all the candidates running for President of the United States. The questions are rated on a scale of; strongly agree to strongly disagree. If for no other reason, taking this quiz forced me to determine where I, personally, stand on the issues. Sorry, there are no question on how you feel about women or persons of color.

After my answers were graded I was presented with a percentage score of how my stand on issues matched up with the various candidates. As some of you know, I've decided, so far, to support the McCain/Palin ticket. So, of course I was anxious to see how my responses paired up with Sen. McCain's Positions. A 38% match it said. It went on to say that perhaps I should change my allegiance based on this score. On no thought I, that can't be. Oh well let's see how I matched up with Sen. Obama: 38%, you may want to change your allegiance!
Isn't that a fine how-do-you-do?

I've been a registered republican all of my voting life, but have always been an independent voter in the booth. Never have I voted the party line . Neither main stream party has ever completely garnered my support. So here's your chance

If you want to convince me to vote for your candidate, tell me where you stand on the issues, how you think your candidate will accomplish their stated goals. Explain to me how you think they will be able to unite the congress, if not the populace, to bring about the kind of government and America that you want. Tell me what makes your candidate most qualified, and please don't make your candidate look good by denigrating the others, because then you're really telling me that you're a divider not a uniter.

Please don't tell me to wake-up! I need my sleep to make informed choices.
I think it's OK to have differing opinions. We can like and enjoy each other as much for our differences as our similarities.
Vote for someone who embodies your beliefs.
Vote for a black man
Vote for a woman
Vote for an ageing warrior
Vote for a write-in
Vote against the system by voting
Be the lone star in the flag on the poster atop this post

Or don't:
It's a FREE country, right?

If you make a joke out of the election you make a joke about the country you've chosen to live in.

Labels:

20 Comments:

Blogger KoffeeBean said...

Nicely said! :)
D

8:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very well articulated, rel. I have absolutely nothing of value to add.

8:31 AM  
Blogger paisley said...

i am and will remain apolitical.. and i observe and make judgments based solely on what snippets i read and see and hear..

and i can tell you as one that has observed,, and not partaken over the course of the nearly thirty years that i have been eligible to vote,, the whole thing looks like a side show... i read people who try and make their case for their candidate,, and think,, "are you listening to the words as they come out your mouth?? you can't possibly believe that,, can you???"

to me it is like listening to a fundamentalist christian trying to convince me that their god of fire and brimstone is my god too...

not if i have anything to say about it.....

8:38 AM  
Blogger Tess Kincaid said...

I will be watching your comment section today with great interest. You are the very first person or blogger, I've come across, who at this point feels exactly like I do about the candidates. I have voted Republican all my life and now I am at an impass. Great post, nicely done. I'll be back...

9:25 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Well, look at that, Rel, the black box brought me here! What was that about leaving your door open...:-)

ill not comment on the US election but the rest of us watch you lot with interest. :-)

12:11 PM  
Blogger Wanderlust Scarlett said...

Excellently written, as always.

But... I want to know, what kind of America do -you- want?


Scarlett & Viaggiatore

3:21 PM  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

I don't want to sway anyones vote but I loved the quiz. I went slow and read each one. 28% McCain, 55% Obama and I will be voting that way. I am frightened that he is too green.

I want our country to be financially strong with a powerful military to keep us safe. I want faith in my government back. That's a HUGE job for any new president.

HUG

3:36 PM  
Blogger Churlita said...

I vote on issues, not gender or race. My politics are very liberal, and I'm sure it shows on my blog, but I don't talk about it directly, because that's not what mine is about and there are tons of others who do politics better.

I hope everyone votes for whomever they vote for after thoughtful deliberating.

5:10 PM  
Blogger Jellyhead said...

What a balanced and smart piece of writing Rel. You really made me think about the whole process of voting, and you're right - it's important not to vote out of habit, down party lines.

Good luck with making your voting decision!

6:15 PM  
Blogger Lucy said...

Rel! long time! how are you?
This was so informative and a post AND quiz I really needed! Although, after taking it I am still confused AND like you split between the two both answers telling me to pick a different candidate!! NOW what Rel??
I will be back to have my husband take the quiz too.
thanks!

9:46 AM  
Blogger anthonynorth said...

Luckily, I'm a Brit.

10:19 AM  
Blogger Granny Smith said...

My problem is that it is so hard to get actual information about a candidate's actual current positions and past achievements in the elective positions they have held. My candidate of choice (Kucinich) was eliminated in the primaries. I will vote for Obama, and I am attempting to convince other people to do the same.

Good post for this preelection season!

7:41 PM  
Blogger (M)ary said...

i took the quiz. socially i am most like Hillary Clinton (why is she even included? she isn't running any longer.) economically i was matched the best with the Libertarian candidate.

i am voting for Obama but if there were a Democrat in the White House, i would be voting for McCain. i want to change the party in the White House. voting is the only civilized way to show our disapproval of the current administration. hence, i am voting for Obama. i'd vote for the Libertarian candidate but i don't want to "waste" my vote.

8:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wasnt surprised to see that my beliefs line up with Hilarys 58% of the time and that I'm McCains polar opposite. I agree with you,I would be more excited about electing a president if the candidates would just talk about their stand on the issues.

10:15 PM  
Blogger Puss-in-Boots said...

Sounds like Australia...

3:29 AM  
Blogger Tumblewords: said...

I, too, will vote for a different party than the one that brung me. LOL But you are right. I watch the news like a hawk and can tell immediately when the media alters the words that came from a candidate or surrogate. And it frustrates me to the nth to have a candidate who says one thing one day, then refutes it on the next. If the Palin McCain group takes the reins, I'm through watching news and hoping. I'll just lay on the floor and cry. But, to each his own.

9:13 PM  
Blogger gbchange said...

I enjoyed reading this entry. I Black Boxed here and it was a pleasant journey.

I'd like to share my blog with you as it holds my opinion regarding recent events and the election. I'll apologize up front as it does not conform to your requirements (I can get passionate), but it is not entirely filled with hysterical rants either.

Here's hoping you make the choice that's in your best interest.

Gayle

10:40 PM  
Blogger TD said...

A very good post. And a concerned American, which I very much respect. I will not try to persuade you; I don't have the answers. And based on the post I just entered http://alifeindavidsdays.blogspot.com/2008/09/its-economy-stupid.html you'll see that I'm far more concerned about the corporatocracy and whether or not there's anyone interested in the welfare of the have nots.

1:35 AM  
Blogger Julie Hyzy said...

Wow - wonderful post! Thanks for letting me know about your blog. It's nice to "meet" you in this virtual world and I very much like what you have to say.

I enjoyed taking the poll too. It reaffirmed my belief in my candidate.

;-)

11:38 AM  
Blogger Julie Hyzy said...

Here's another "Choose Your Candidate" link I liked:

http://abcnews.go.com/politics/MatchoMatic/fullpage?id=5542139

Julie

12:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home