Monday, October 27, 2008



So, OK, ummmm? Where were we?
Oh yes of course, we were having lunch at the Pacific Grill at South Street Seaport. All I can tell you is that the food was sumptuous, the wine smooth like velvet, the sun was high and the temperature near eighty. Even though there were tons of people, the area is large enough to accommodate the crowd without feeling crushed. The service was unbelievably fast. The bill reflected the degree of our satisfaction; high. Okee-dokee, what's next? Let's stroll around and see what there is to see:
Immediately around the corner we espied the famous Brooklyn bridge and a waterfall display. Because of the month long artsy display of waterfalls around the city, the bridge was not currently for sale but get back to me after the first of the year if you're interested.
One of Olafur Eliasson's 4 temporary cascades dotting NY harbor. The waterfalls are at Pier 35 in Manhattan, near South and Rutgers Streets north of the Manhattan Bridge; at the Brooklyn tower of the Brooklyn Bridge; Piers 4 and 5 in Brooklyn, west of the Brooklyn Heights Promenade; and on the north shore of Governors Island. They will be turned on every day from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m., except on Tuesdays and Thursdays, when they will be activated at 9 a.m. After sunset, the waterfalls will be lighted by light-emitting diodes. The bridge immediately behind is the Manhattan bridge.

Next it was back around to harbor side, past a triple jointed acrobatic yoga performer, (KB may have a shot of him, I did not), and a self guided tour of an old timey sailing ship. There were three but we only boarded the one; the Peking.
While walking around the decks and snapping pix we noticed a professional photo shoot going on. I don't know why, but I was uneasy about shooting the shoot. Now, in retrospect, I wished I'd taking pictures of the photographer and the child model she was using. I mean, come on, what were they gonna do, shoot me? Punny? Mais oui mes amis!


If you look straight down the right side of the photo I think you can make out a person there; that's the photographer. The child appeared to be a boy of 7 or 8 years of age and costumed in a Arabic sultany type of outfit; you know, turban, loose blousy pants, gold shoes of lamee with the toes curled up, and like that and all. You get the picture right?

I liked the contrast of the old rigging against the moderninity of the skyscrapers. Kinda cool, don't ya agree?

That's Wall street in the distance and since the financial meltdown was in full melt we decided to pop up there to see what was happening. You know, like was anybody jumping out of buildings, or riotous demonstrations.....


The beauty and the bane of a whirlwind tour of three days is the limited time to soak up any one sight.

We take our leave of the port and begin our stroll up Wall street toward the NY Stock Exchange.
The first and enduring sight as you make your way through the throng is Trinity Church:


Along the way we passed the Trump building on our right. I kept an eye out for The Donald, but didn't notice him about. Of course if I'd left my eye in I might have had more luck. Do you think he would have hired me as a one eyed apprentice? No? Nah, me neither.
It's like shying away from photographing photographers; you won't know 'til you ask. I did feel emboldened while walking amongst the rich and powerful of the most famous street in the world. I wonder if that was how Jesus felt when he encountered all the money changers in the temple. Just wondering.



First Georgie and then;
the Exchange.








Then the cemetery. Hey this is rel here. You know how he's drawn the cemeteries as well as churches. At least he stayed out side this time.
Then we turned the corner toward Broadway and were make our way to Battery park and, Holy-Moly-man; We ran into:
And that's no bull. Err, I mean, uh, well ya, I guess it is a bull. Yup, that's it, a brass bull, and yes it has brass balls too!
Getting a photo of this icon of Wall Street was no mean accomplishment. With all the people wanting to get their pic taken by, under, on, holding his balls, and riding his horn, it was nigh on to impossible to get a clear shot. But D. captured the one above and thankfully we moved on to Battery Park.

That will be our next stop. Not a long one but lots of thought provoking memorials to check out.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm off to the work station.
A shot from Battery Park.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Tess Kincaid said...

Wow! You covered quite a bit of ground on this trip! I adore old churches and cemeteries, too.

10:54 AM  
Blogger Churlita said...

That was a great bull shot.

I'm also sometimes squeamish about photographing people. You never know how they'll react.

4:02 PM  
Blogger Wanderlust Scarlett said...

Love that shot of the church!
Beautiful.

You two really had a great time!
So tickled that we get to share in it, too. Thanks!


Scarlett & Viaggiatore

6:30 PM  
Blogger Elisabeth said...

Great narrative of your NYC trip, Rel. You did see tons! I have incredibly fond memories of the Circle Line Tour, one of the first things I ever did, just a few days after I had arrived in this country for the very first time, back in 1973. I've taken that tour a few more times since, but never since Sept. 11.

Great photos too, by the way. Of course, the bull and the story surrounding this picture taking session amused me the most!

9:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home