Thursday, October 30, 2008

We got an early winter blizzard Tuesday night. The cemetery was covered and most of the autumn leave of last week were now under the blanket of white. These few hangers on will probably join their friends and neighbors in the next few days.

There is nothing like a cemetery to ignite ones imagination. Especially around Halloween time.

Another thing that fires up my imagination is the night sky. You know those midnight blue skies that look black and are sprinkled with sparkling diamonds in various configurations. By chance this morning, while out at 0400 for my aerobic exercise, was just such a morning. I imagined the natives of our planet who centuries ago lay on the ground in their animal skins staring at the night sky and making the configuration of the stars into Gods and symbols representing their daily existence. There was no TV, movies or radio. There was no light pollution to obscure their view. They produced a cast of characters that have endured through the centuries and will outlast the last human to tread the earth's crust. There was no moon visible this morning, and in a few spots the street lights were few and far between and I was able to discern a multitude of characters. Of course the most easily recognizable were the pans, dippers I think they're called. A few others were visible and recognizable to this novice star gazer. Sagittarius was there, prancing around and shooting arrows of hope into the night sky. And Pegasus was galloping away from Pisces toward Andromeda.

My mind began to race with fantasies. I'm not sure of what the differences are between myth, fairy tales, legends, and fantasies are. Sometimes they blend together in my mind and I can't tell where one starts and another leaves off. Be that as it may, my mind wander to thoughts of Merlin, Richard the Lion hearted, Prince John and the Sheriff, and of course Robin hood and Marion. Well quite a story began to unfold blending today's realities and stories of old and the alignment of the stars and human foibles, and, and, and.............
Well, I've got to go to work but the story develops and I'll be sure to let it unfold here over the course of the next few days. Until then, be human.

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Tess Kincaid said...

The stars are so brilliant in the cold fall air, aren't they?

Lovely snow.

7:48 AM  
Blogger KoffeeBean said...

Ah! Thinking about Robin Hood again, huh??? I feel a great story coming!!! :)
D.

7:52 AM  
Blogger Churlita said...

I love that snowy cemetery photo. It's gorgeous. I guess I have no choice, I continue to remain human.

3:42 PM  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

Already? Great shot Rel!

Why do woman have to pee all the time? Childbirth! lol

3:52 PM  
Blogger Synchronicity said...

wow...you already have snow? that is something! beautiful photo capturing both seasons. can't wait to see what sort of story you come up with.

5:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have always been mesmerized by the stars. Beautiful, mysterious, full of mystic revelation. You must be a Pisces, with all that vivid imagination. ;)

12:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home