Saturday, November 15, 2008

#6 Embarrassing predicament.



Slave to routine, creature of habit: These are terms that can describe a good portion of my day, and most particularly my mornings. The routine can vary from day to day in some of the details. Monday is a strength training day for me and Tuesday is an aerobic day and like that there. But in general I adhere to a pretty rigid time line from wake up to first case in the OR. After that everything is dealt with on a moment to moment arrangement.

This morning time line schedule allows me to get a lot done between point A and point B. I'm flexible, while realizing that if I chose to do something not on the daily docket it's OK, but something else will have to be sacrificed. And so it is from wake up 5 mins. before the alarm, bathroom stop, coffee, cat fed, read for 10-15 min while sipping coffee, 2 baby aspirin, appropriate gym clothes, work out, shower, breakfast, blog, garage, car, work.
Each task has routine built in also.



Let's take the garage, car routine: Between 0655 and 0700, walk to garage, unlock door, enter and click on door opener light. Enter car, place key in ignition, start engine, fasten seat belt, push overhead door opener, wait 'til pull cord appears through sun roof, engage reverse and back out of garage. Simple enough don't you think? Who'd think that one minor change in that routine progression could be both embarrassing and expensive?

  1. 0658; walk to garage.
  2. unlock garage door, step inside, push overhead door opener; opening door and turning on the light.
  3. walk over and get into car.
  4. Place key in ignition
  5. Start engine.
  6. Fasten seat belt.
  7. Push overhead door opener.
  8. do not look at sunroof.
  9. Engage reverse and
  10. Back into garage door which is now half way closed, doing major structural damage to the door and it's track and preventing both closing further or opening of now quite warped door.

I was able to manually get the door open and get my car out. Yes, I was also late for work and red faced when telling the reason for my tardiness.

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger paisley said...

i am wondering if it was not so much not adhering to a schedule that did you in,, but rather your unconscious decision not to be aware of your surroundings as awareness has been replaced by schedule.... hmmmmmmm....

10:17 AM  
Blogger Elisabeth said...

AhAh. I thought that this was funny. I have this vision that, someday, I'll back up into my garage door too. So far, so good. The guy who lived in my place before me did that once. I know, because his daughter told mine.

OK, let's put it this way - I'll be a hell of a lot more careful about my garage routine for the next few days!

12:35 PM  
Blogger willow said...

Why, exactly, don't you look at the sunroof?

1:32 PM  
Blogger Flossy said...

Well there you go - do as I do and keep the car outside! No chance of me ever backing into the garage door that way :)

3:45 PM  
Anonymous Miss Meagan said...

That is mighty funny! I can top it though. The other day I was going over to a friends house for a visit. I entered through the first door onto the sun porch without incident. (Sun Porch is lined with windows that have been painted shut for some time).Proceed to inside door. No answer. Noone home. I turn around, make my desend to the porch door,attempt to turn the handle. Handle dosen't turn, door does not move...I some how locked myself on the porch with no way of escape. Painted shut windows, locked door, cell phone still in car in driveway. I sat there for 2 hours until she came home. Thank god she came home if not I might still be there! You should have seen the look on her face. PRICELESS! Kinda like your garage door.

Please post picture for humor purposes;-)

7:00 PM  
Blogger Puss-in-Boots said...

I understand, Rel. Truly I do...you were still asleep at the time.

11:36 PM  
Blogger Kay said...

Oopsa daisy! Never mind at least your humour is still intact.

5:59 AM  
Blogger Catch said...

no wonder you backed into the garage door Rel.....thats way too early in the morning to negotiate anything!!! lol...Im on auto pilot till at least noon!!!

11:06 AM  
Blogger Jellyhead said...

oh noooooo! Sounds like something I might do, if that's any consolation!

5:51 AM  
Blogger Wanderlust Scarlett said...

That's why we have insurance.

Poor Rel... *chuckles* these things happen, it's okay.
You are human.


You could park outside...

;o)


Scarlett & Viaggiatore

3:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home