Tuesday, December 09, 2008



The morning weather report:


The weather report for our neck of the woods was grim today.
Summary:
Rest of Today

Snow showers ending this morning...then a chance of sleet or freezing rain showers this afternoon. Total snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches. Highs in the lower 30s. Southeast winds 15 to 20 mph with gusts up to 30 mph. Chance of precipitation near 100 percent.

Tonight

Rain. Lows in the lower 30s. Temperatures will slowly rise overnight. South winds 10 to 15 mph...becoming southwest after midnight. Gusts up to 30 mph. Chance of rain near 100 percent.

I slept in a couple hours this morning, 'cause I was up late last night sending out my curriculum vitae and so on and so forth. Since I'm unemployed until the first of the year, I felt I could forgo the 0330 wake-up call. So, at 0530 I ventured out in the dark with the snow pelting my face furiously and did my 3 1/2 miles.

When I got home, I felt bad that I didn't have to brave the elements and drive my gas sucking SUV to work this morning, and I was so looking forward to driving home, 10 miles, in the freezing rain this evening. Oh well, what can you do? Just grin and bear it I guess. I was also terribly disappointed that I didn't have to hire the neighbor boy to shovel my driveway. I went ahead and shoveled it myself. And, I have to say, I do a much better job than he does. When I was done, I smiled and paid myself the $20.00 and set about imagining what I could spend it on. It won't go to R.J. Reynolds like it would have if I'd 've hire the neighbor kid.

All kidding aside; I love winter and winter with snow is even better. I love shoveling snow, cross-country skiing, snow shoeing, and just going for walks in the snow storms, especially the ones at night when the flakes are as big as silver dollars and are falling thick and lazily so that you have to squint your eyes to see. If I have D.'s hand to hold it's ten times as fun. I used to like skating but haven't been in nearly 40 years; probably fall backwards and crack my rock hard head open. That would be less fun. When I was young I loved hooking cars, sledding and tobogganing.

All in all I like today's weather report.

And how do you feel about winter?


Did I mention hot chocolate with marshmallows by a wood fire?

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger KoffeeBean said...

You'll always have my hand to hold.
D

10:30 AM  
Blogger A Cuban In London said...

I feel disappointed about winter in London because it never snows, so I feel jealous looking at your pictures :-(.

Great post, though.

Greetings from London.

11:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

More of a Sprin and Fall Fan - winter, not so much :)
mdl

12:05 PM  
Blogger Tess Kincaid said...

The music was perfect as I read your snowy post! It's turned to rain over here in Ohio. Ick.

12:19 PM  
Blogger Churlita said...

I am a Summer girl for sure. I do like some Winter activities, but it makes it so much harder to run when there's ice and it's dark both before and after work.

I do love to sled, though.

3:10 PM  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

Nice job Rel! I LOVE the snow and that's why we retired one hour So. of Tahoe. We have been having a drought, but snow may come Saturday. I'm still getting roses, in December!

3:11 PM  
Blogger Chipper said...

There are only 2 things that are good about winter, my b-day and Christmas :P)

See u soon

9:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home