Sunday, February 08, 2009

He left the hotel around 9:00 o'clock, headed for the library.
"I'll stop at the Rite Aid first, and pick up some lunch supplies , can't remember what time the library opens on Saturdays."
Pulling into the library parking lot he notices 3 or 4 cars and thinks that the library must be open. Looks at his watch: 0920. Noticing drivers sitting in their cars, he gets out and goes to the entrance door to check the time schedule: Sat: 093o t0 1700.

Back to his car, and a call to his wife from the car phone.

More and more cars come and park; 8, 10, now 15. "Must be a book club meeting he says to his wife."
"Maybe they all want to use the computers," she replies.
"Doubt it, but they're going in so I better get a move on. I call you later. Love you!"
"OK, love you too hon."

While waiting at the desk for his computer slip he notices people coming in with framed art works. A number of peg boards were set up in the main section of the library.

"Must be an art show today?", he asks the library worker.

"yes, there is," he replied.

An hour later as he was leaving he had to walk through the display and so he stopped to admire the various pictures. Some were paintings, others were photographs. There were pencil drawings and watercolors. Most were excellent work to his eye. One colorful photograph off to the right caught his attention, making him think: I think I recognize that shot.

Moving closer, he recognized this photo; he'd seen it before, in the artist's studio. The artist had been showing him his portfolio.

Yes, this was the art work of his brother!

Labels: ,

14 Comments:

Blogger KoffeeBean said...

Ahhh!! Just beautiful!! A work of art!!
D.

6:51 PM  
Blogger Tess Kincaid said...

Your brother is very talented, Rel! Funny how you stumbled onto it. :)

6:57 PM  
Blogger Lucy said...

Hi Rel! it's been too long since I've been over! I just know this sweet story must be true! Your brothers art is beautiful!
nice post Rel, hope u are well

8:41 PM  
Blogger Puss-in-Boots said...

What a wonderful coincidence. No, there's no such thing as coincidence. It was meant to happen. A lovely surprise for you, Rel.

10:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi rel,
(So glad I found you again. I used to read and comment regularly here, but I lost my links.)

Delightful post! Nice photo, too. I'm smiling at your recognition of your artist bro's work. (I have held several art shows in our library. Patrons here feel that it's part of the library decor, though, since we are not allowed to put prices on the tags next to the artwork.) Still, it was good exposure when I was getting my feet back into the art world a few years ago, besides a community service.)

12:19 AM  
Blogger Kay Cooke said...

That must've been a wonderful (proud) moment!

2:50 AM  
Blogger anthonynorth said...

Great post, and lovely picture.

4:32 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Serendipitous! :)
Lovely photo - I'm a sucker for a great photo...

2:27 PM  
Blogger paisley said...

what an amazingly small world we seem to live in at times......

4:48 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Thanks for the Nod bro

6:16 PM  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

That was a very cool story. Tell Jeff, he rocks! :)

7:40 PM  
Blogger Churlita said...

That's great. I love that kind of serendipity.

12:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rel - Wonderful story, and I love the 'word art' piece... very cool!

It was really nice to see that you'd visited Image & Verse -- please come again... soon! ;)

Having become consumed by the writing prompt blogs I was publishing, I'd lost touch with my writing, and with my visits to my favorite blogs -- like yours -- but I have shut down the prompt blogs indefinitely, and will proactively participate in the online writing community once again.

6:06 AM  
Blogger Chipper said...

That is awesome!! It's a beautiful piece of Art.

9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home