Thursday, December 10, 2009








file this story under: In the blink of an eye.

Yesterday I posted that we were expecting some form of wintry mix, but later in the day, so my drive to work would be uneventful.

Wrong!!!!!!

Mind you, before writing that post I'd been out for my morning jog and up to my gym for a strength training workout. After writing the blog post I again went out; to retrieve the morning paper from the porch and still there was no sign of any precipitation.

After showering and getting dressed, I woke my wife to say goodbye, and when she inquired as to the state of the weather: "what's it doing out?" I replied, "nothing."

Three minutes later, I'm out the door into a blinding snow squall.


Those of you who live in those parts of the country where snow is common in the winter months will appreciate the fact that there is little worse than following a snow plow for any stretch of road and particularly in the dark of night, or in my case the early morning hours. Freezing rain is probably the worse winter driving hazard, but snowplow following comes in a close second.

I backed out of my garage at 0600 as is my usual custom. Even accounting for the days where I stop for gas, coffee,a danish and the paper, it usually takes me fifty minutes to drive to my place of work.

Yesterday I had the pleasure of following a Milk truck behind a car behind a snowplow at a cruising speed of 25-30 mph. One and one half hours later I pulled into the hospital parking lot.

Safe, sound and not late. It could have been worse.



Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Tess Kincaid said...

Ug, slow goin', but at least a clear path! Uncle Wiggily...heehee!!

10:19 AM  
Anonymous Alison said...

I loved my Uncle Wiggily books. :)

Stay safe up there!

4:56 PM  
Blogger Churlita said...

It sounds like you guys finally got what we had. It sure was pretty...From indoors.

12:15 PM  
Blogger Lucy said...

punctuality! it's a true art!

11:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home