Friday, January 01, 2010


It's that day again. That day of the year set aside for the making of resolutions, resolutions to modify our behavior in order to improve our future lives. Many New Years Days have come and gone without my making any resolutions. Early on in my life I suppose I jumped on the band wagon of cultural commonality and made a list of promises to change my ways. Inevitably this was a Rx (prescription) for failure; "I'm going to lose 571 lbs by Feb. 11th or the 28th at the latest, by strictly adhering religiously to a Tibetan monk's diet." Then, if I even dared; stepping upon the scale to find that I'd gained 571 pounds.
New Years day does offer us an opportunity to reflect back on the past year/years and see if we can learn anything from our successes and faux pas.
Failure is a marvelous tool for learning. Without failure it's likely we'd not make any advances on any level (nothing ventured etc.). But to make a list of things that experience tells us is doomed to fail, is akin to repeating the same ineffective behavior of the past and expecting a different outcome. I've seen that as a definition of stupid.
So, no list, mental or written, of new year's resolution for me.
Did I learn any thing last year? Let me think, in no particular order;
No matter how many years pass I am capable of learning something new. I took my first hair raising roller coaster ride; with my grand daughter and learned that I can still experience fear.
The birth of a new grand child can bring the same exquisite joy that came with the birth of my own children; maybe more.
I've learned that being nice to people is a good thing. A smile almost always gets you a smile in return.
Today I learned not to interrupt a blogging post to go to friends house for a brunch including mimosas and expect to finish the post later!
P.S. It's OK to take advice from you children.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Kay Cooke said...

I love the PS! We have found that to be true.
I always make NY resolutions, but never really track them to see whether or not I achieved them - or even if I am making the same ones again over and over (which I suspect may be the case).
Happy New Year.

8:17 PM  
Blogger Tess Kincaid said...

Lovely thoughts for this new day, Rel. x

10:22 PM  
Blogger Churlita said...

I always tell my girls that: It's okay to make mistakes as long as you learn from them. It sounds like you're doing just that. Happy New Year!

1:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home