Tuesday, February 16, 2010


"That seems like quite an old piece Margaret, where ever did you come by it?"
"Are you referring to that ol' pewter pitcher there on the mantel? Well of course you are. It came with the house Ester."
" Really? It came with the house?"
"Yes it did, it came with the house. I found it in that side cabinet, there, aside of the fireplace. I thought for sure the previous owner had forgotten it so I called the realtor to tell her what I'd found and to say that I was sure the previous owner would want it. But the realtor was aware that the pitcher had been left behind. She said that the previous owner, Mrs. Lloyd Penderghast had left it purposely, saying that it was as much a part of the house as the boards and nails."
"My goodness Margaret, whatever do you suppose she meant by that, as much a part of the house as the nails and boards?"
"Well. as you can imagine Ester, I did inquire as to whether or not the realtor knew what was meant by that. She went on to say that she wasn't exactly clear on the details, but that some time back, when the house was built or there abouts, some famous personage has been invited to stay here in this house and gave the owners a gift of the pewter creamer and sugar bowl in gratitude for their hospitality."
"Oh Margaret, aren't you just itching to know who that famous person was who stayed in YOUR house all those many years ago? Why, maybe you'll find more treasures if you search hard enough."
"Of course my curiosity was peaked Ester, so I went to the local historical society to see what I could find out about the history of this house."
"And what did you learn Margaret?"
"In 1777 this house was owned by a group know as the Moravian Brethren, and following a revolutionary war battle; the battle of Brandywine, they cared for a wounded officer, a Major-General, in Washington's Army. The man was the Marquis de Lafayette. Now whether or not he is the person who gave the pewter set, I like to believe he did. I also like the idea that I may be sleeping every night in the same bed once occupied by that gallant and dashing Frenchman."
for more Magpie Tales go HERE!

Labels:

16 Comments:

Blogger Tess Kincaid said...

Your mention of the Moravian Brethren made my DNA tingle! The ending gave me goosebumps. Don't you wonder at the fascinating history lost through the years? Nice piece, Rel!

9:17 AM  
Blogger amy said...

Marquis de Lafayette, the man who inspired the name of my hometown =-)

Thanks for sharing your muse!

10:16 AM  
Blogger KoffeeBean said...

I've missed your writings. Happy you've returned. :)
D.

10:25 AM  
Blogger spacedlaw said...

great magpie tale!

12:07 PM  
Blogger Vicki Lane said...

Ha! I too used the Marquis de Lafayette for my tale. What fun!

2:04 PM  
Blogger Brian Miller said...

very nice...like that you tied it to the house and her thoughts abound...

2:28 PM  
Blogger Evening Light Writer said...

This piece is fantastic, you handle dialogue quite well. I look forward to seeing future posts from you.

2:44 PM  
Blogger tori said...

visiting from Magpie. we have the same name for our main characters (Margret) :) great piece.

2:55 PM  
Blogger Ronda Laveen said...

You've spun quite a bit of mystery and intrigue into this piece. I like Margaret's dream:-)

2:58 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Intriguing! I've often dreamed of moving into an old house with random treasures of bygone days.

Just wandering by from the Magpie!

Jen

4:42 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

I wonder if he visits her at night!

6:32 PM  
Blogger PattyF said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

9:20 PM  
Blogger PattyF said...

Your last line ... now that's the kind of thing that gives me goosebumps. Wonderful tale!

9:21 PM  
Blogger Churlita said...

Yea! I'm glad you're writing again. I'm so excited.

12:33 AM  
Blogger Jerry said...

I like this...an air of mystery and a prop for speculation.

Sigh....I'm jealous.

6:37 PM  
Blogger Crafty Green Poet said...

great story rel, and that is a very lovely pitcher

3:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home