Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Harbinger of spring

I learned again something new. When, in the past, someone mentioned a harbinger of spring, I'd think of things like pussy willows, robins, snow melt, streams overflowing their banks, and driving to work in the day light.
The first days of this week have certainly shown a few of these sign to me; driving to work in the daylight and balmy spring temps and bright sunny days. I haven't seen any robins yet but some folks at work have. The weatherman tells us that today will be the best day this week for a warm sunny spring like day.
Thinking it better to write a post rather than stare at a face book page waiting for someone to put up a sage comment, I thought I'd mention the pleasant weather of the past few days with as many words as I could muster and still sound erudite and or sensible. So, as is my usual habit when the thought harbinger-of-spring sprung to the forefront of my consciousness, I Googled the term:
a North American umbelliferous herb, Erigenia bulbosa, having white flowers that bloom early in the spring.
Well, ain't that special. A noun no less. Who'd a-thunk it? Not I, but of course I know you all aren't surprised at all. You knew it all along didn't you? I didn't but I do now and so along with robins and pussy willows, I'll be on the lookout for some Erigenia bulbosa and then I'll know that spring is on it's way
Embrace the day readers, if not your enemies. ;)

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Churlita said...

Erigenia bulbosa sounds a little dirty, doesn't it?

4:21 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

Autumn has commenced here Down Under and thankfully cooler weather is on its way. Although it hasn't been too bad lately because we've had a lot of rainy days...a lot! I love rain days and nights!

8:45 PM  
Blogger Puss-in-Boots said...

Well, I didn't know that...thanks, Rel. Isn't it amazing the tidbits of knowledge one can glean from Google?

6:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home