Wednesday, May 26, 2010

We are here to accomplish a task and we are.

What a vast, boundless life unfolds before us! Ordinarily, we spend all our time comparing and discriminating between this and that, always looking around for something good to happen to us. Because of that, we become restless and anxious about everything. . . . We are constantly pursued by anxious misgivings that something bad will happen. As long as we base our lives on distinguishing between the better way and the worse way, we can never find absolute peace such that whatever happens is all right. When we let go of our thoughts that distinguish better from worse and instead see everything in terms of the universal self, we are able to settle upon a different attitude toward lifeā€”the attitude of magnanimous mind that whatever happens, we are living out self alone. Here a truly peaceful life unfolds.

kosho uchiyama

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Tess Kincaid said...

Wise words, indeed. Peace.

9:55 AM  
Blogger Sheri said...

hmmm. hmmm. hmmm. so rel, what is your universal self like??? have you found it yet...are you even looking?

2:44 PM  
Blogger rel said...

Sheri,
rel's universal self? I know where he lives and I go visit him frequently but not often enough. Old habits need to be replaced with improved ones; I'm working on that. the big thing is expectations. When we can put aside expectations (how we think other people should behave) happiness is easier to attain.
I'm working on a longer piece along these lines. haven't decide if I'll put it out there for publication. ;)
rel

4:42 PM  
Blogger Churlita said...

Perfect. There are so many things to work on in a lifetime. Thank god, I've already been given 44 years. I tend to learn slowly.

10:15 PM  
Blogger Sheri said...

this is purely my opinion but you'd better consider posting it, my friend!
yes, i know that this ol' bloggerworld can be entertaining...we are, in a small sense performers for all the world to see. but i'm finding out for myself that it's a great place for me to share myself, albeit i may choose to use a magpie or some other vehicle perhaps. i've been chided and caught some flak for my transparency but i always remind myself it's easy for others to judge when they don't know the whole story...cripes, i haven't even figured my own self out just yet!
i'll be hanging from your shirt tail no matter what you do about sharing/not your 'findings' so just get used to it ;)

9:59 PM  
Anonymous Gel said...

Hi Rel,

Wise and timely post. When one views the world in black and white choices, information, and life standards anxiety and disconnectedness definitely smother.
I like that picture of someone swinging freely. I remember that glorious peaceful feeling.

12:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home