Monday, July 26, 2010


#24
It was going on towards 2 weeks since we’d told her that she was going to die. Even in her drugged state she was coherent; aware of her surroundings and capable of in-the-present conversations with visitors. Her relatives and all her living friends had come to say their goodbyes. How often does that happen? Thirty years prior, her husband had died without so much as a how-do-you-do!
A couple of days before she actually crossed over, I stopped in in the morning, as I did every morning before work, to see what, if anything, had changed:
“How ya doin’ mom?”
Slowly opening her eyes, she stared straight into mine; “I ain’t dead yet!” She said matter-of-fact, in a tone that said, I’m tired of waiting, let’s get on with it, OK?

I’m reminded of that question that comes up every now and then in social conversation: do you want to know when you're going to die?
Friday, I’m scheduled to die this Friday. D.D. said goodbye today. Everybody else is professing their individual sadnesses and stating their wishes that they don’t want me to go.

I’ll make the bed before I leave!

Labels: ,

16 Comments:

Blogger Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

what a sad one,
nicely told tale!

10:25 PM  
Blogger signed...bkm said...

Nice take..that is a negative for me...bkm

11:51 PM  
Blogger Puss-in-Boots said...

No way do I want to know when I'm going to die! Anyway, I haven't got time...there's still so much to do.

Seriously, that's a well written tale, Rel. Glad you're going to make the bed...

12:45 AM  
Blogger Lyn said...

Naaahhhh.....
Even those sentenced are waiting for the governor's intervention! Nothing's perfect...

6:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's better to know when you die, then be lied about it. Truth's the best even though it sometimes hurts.
Nice story!

6:51 AM  
Blogger Gabriela Abalo said...

nice Magpie.
Sometimes I want to know, so I stop wasting time worrying about trivialities.

7:14 AM  
Blogger Felicitas said...

It's hard to say whether knowing "when" would make it easier or not. I think it would just make me melancholy, even if it were many years down the road.

A wonder story!

7:18 AM  
Blogger Helen said...

Very nicely written! Your Magpie reminds me of a story about my mother ~~~ she was only a week or two away from death .. hospice had taken over .. I was told that letting your loved one know it's OK for them to leave (that loved ones on the other side are waiting for them) can help ease anxiety. When I said this to my mother she looked at me and said simply "they can wait for me!" One of my favorite memories and so typical of my mom!

12:39 PM  
Blogger RA said...

Sad beauty in your words. A wonderful Magpie!

2:33 PM  
Blogger Tess Kincaid said...

No, I definitely don't want to know. Please say you're not really going on Friday.

3:09 PM  
Blogger Tumblewords: said...

An eloquent and poignant post. I think I don't want to know, but...

3:23 PM  
Blogger Suz said...

nope don't want to know
and I'm with Helen's mom..they can just wait...that was ggreat Helen!
Rel..good job of getting us talking
don't go!

9:38 PM  
Blogger Krunal said...

sad but a nice tale

11:57 AM  
Blogger Churlita said...

I don't want to know. Plus, there's really no way of knowing. I'm sure if we knew, we'd all do things so much differently, to try to prevent it. It's human nature.

2:49 PM  
Blogger Stafford Ray said...

Expressed so well what some have experienced. A bit 'close to home' for me. Also brought on a decision (what to post next). :-)

3:16 PM  
Blogger Kathe W. said...

Nope I don't want to know-surprise me? On the other hand if I was terminally ill I would want to know....
Excellent post-makes one think

10:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home