Tuesday, July 06, 2010

OFA marching band. July 4th, 2010, Morristown. Featuring Matilde Perrier


On the whole this microcosm in which I dwell has been very kind to me of late. That is to say: life has been pretty good for me for quite a while now. Maybe that's why I haven't been writing much lately; who wants to hear about life on the high side? We'd rather read about the low side of life, the down and out, the criminal, the adulterers, the war mongers, and the greedy McFreadys of the world spilling black gold into the pristine waters of the Gulf and fouling the shores of the gulf coast. So who has time to read or write about the mundane good days of our lives.
This past 4th of July holiday weekend was one of the best, weatherwise, for the Morristown Firemen's annual field day that I've witnessed in my 33 years of living on the parade route. The fire works were lit off on Friday night the 2nd and from the sounds of it (no I didn't watch, but the 1812 overture blasts guided me to slumber land) were awesome; the crowd parked along the highway certainly was, at least for sheer numbers. The parade started with the fire siren right on time at 10 AM Saturday the 3rd. None of our children made it home this year for the Fourth but we were graced with good company: Bonnie and the girls came up and sat on our lawn to watch the sights and collect a Halloween amount of candy tossed about by the local politicians. In addition, my French tutor Johanne, stopped by and joined us on the lawn to view the passing bands and floats. Her daughter is a sax player in OFA's band and this will be her last season marching with the band. Next year she is bound for Belgium for a year as an exchange student.
Friday through Monday was as hot, hazy and humid a Fourth as I've every witnessed, giving credence to the saying quoted by an old friend, Jerry Jacobson. Doc was fond of saying: here in the northcountry we have two seasons; winter and the 4th of July.
*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#
Newspaper readership seems to be on the wane these past 10 to 15 years. "They" say it's the "net's" fault. maybe so, probably is but who's to say? Things come and things go. Recently I heard on good authority that CWK, a newsman of local repute is intending to retire at the end of the year. That will be a very sad day for the north country. Sad for me because I'm still a reader of newspapers; the real in-your-hand newsprint. As I've "matured" the order to which I read the paper has changed. Fifty plus years ago I turned to the funnies page first to see what Joe Palooka was up to, and check on Dagwood and Blondie. I was in awe of Dick Tracey's wrist walkie talkie. Prince Valiant was my idol, but the Phantom ran a close second. Little Lulu and Sluggo, Peanuts, and Family Circus were entertaining and educational too.
Then at a certain age the sports page was the centerpiece of my reading, following the NY Yankees: Yogi and Mickey, and the NY Giants football team with it's Sam Huff and Y.A. Tittle. When my mother asked me what I intended to do after H.S. graduation I replied: "I'm goin to take Yogi's place and catch for the Yankees."
With marriage and family, the front page with it's world and regional news took center stage. Those years in my 30s and 40s when I thought I could make a difference in the flow of mankind, I kept apace of what was going on. It didn't take long to come to the understanding that the world was/is heading for hell in a hand basket and nothing you or I do will change that. And that's okay too, 'cause it was before I got here and will continue after I leave. No right, no wrong, no good, no bad, it just is and just get on with it.
Now the first thing I check is the obit page; want to know which of my friends and acquaintances are moving on before me. I checked it today and I didn't know any of the recently departed. So there, you see, what I said at the beginning of this ramble holds true to date. Things are pretty good so far. Tomorrow might well be another story but for the moment: "Our hearts are warm, our bellies are full, And we are feeling prime. This was a real nice clambake, And we all had a real good time."

Labels: , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Churlita said...

That's the best way to look at things...Right now, things are good and all we have is right now.

3:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home