Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Small town rural America, that's where I hail from.  Oh sure, I've been around; toured the world and some of her bigger cities for 12 years, but in the end settled down to raise my family where I felt most comfortable.  There is a certain comfort, for me, in knowing all my neighbors.   Yup we have our differences, spats and times we don't speak to each other but that actually adds to the family like atmosphere of backwoods neighborliness.

Today is election day in America.

  The morning sun shines brightly trying to warm the 30 degree frost laden air with limited success.  I'll walk the half mile to the fire hall to vote.

As I walk into the polling place, Ruthie B. gives me a big hug, a hello and a kiss.  Then I'm shown the sample ballot and have the choices explained.  Amber missed me and wanted to know where I was working these days.  She made a note to remove Bobby's name from the roll after I told her he was living in Texas.  Barb asked me when I was going to retire and then gave me my ballot and told me to fill the square exactly.  "Don't color outside the lines or you'll be rejected!"
"Barb, it's been a long time since I was rejected" I said kidding with a smile.
"Hows Jim doing Carol?"
"Better I think.  He's home from the hospital now.  Going to sign up for 3 days per week dialysis in the 'burg."
"Good"
"Hi judge, gone running yet?"
"Not yet" she says, "I'm off today, going later."
"Booth's open Bob."
While I'm voting:
"This is pretty easy" say Chris in the booth next to me.
"You're probably doing it wrong."
"I still like the old lever pull way of voting, in out, no muss no fuss."
"Me too."
" Not me, this computer voting is perfect to my way of thinking."
"Carol, when ya coming back to the gym?"
"I miss it, maybe now that I'm not running to Watertown every day I can get back there if you'll let me."
"Any time, you're always welcome."
Hug and kiss from Carol.
"Bye Bob"
" See ya girls, have a great day."

"Where ya been?"
"Voting."

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Tess Kincaid said...

I love your splendid small town life.

2:44 PM  
Blogger Churlita said...

I do love to vote. It makes me feel so American. However corny that may sound.

2:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is real and lovely feel.
beautiful post.

9:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home