Thursday, December 30, 2010

Do you ever get tired of listening to Christmas caroles?  Up until the 26th of Dec. 2010 I would have easily said that I never tire of Christmas caroles.  In fact I often tell the story (you've probably hard this more than once) of the time Art, one of the OR nurses I worked with in a previous life, overheard me sing Christmas caroles in the OR in July.  He said, "What are you going to do when December rolls around?"  I said, "sing louder."

I don't know if it's because I have a longer drive to work and listen to the Christmas channel on Sirius /XM radio non stop or what, but driving home last Sunday I had finally had my fill of Christmas music.

Last year about this time I took a travel assignment in Syracuse, NY.  The two hour drive, one way, suggested to me that perhaps an avid reader such as myself could avail myself of this time to listen to audio books.  In the past D. and I had ventured into that genre while traveling and found it a great way to pass the time, especially when driving to Boston.  I picked up the audio book version of "To Kill a Mockingbird" with every intention of listening to it on my weekend commutes back and forth to Syracuse.  On the 27th of this month, 3 days ago, I unwrapped said package and on Monday last, in response to my sentiment of no longer wanting to listen to Christmas music, put disc 1 in my car's cd player and drove the 47 miles, one way to my current place of employment.  Only a year late, but as they say; Better late than; well you know.  Sissy Spacek reads this story and is the absolute  best choice in my estimation.  She and the story that Harper Lee penned have kept me enthralled twice a day every day so far this week.  In fact yesterday I sat for ten minutes listening while parked in the parking lot at work, just to finish that chapter.

And when not driving I'm reading "The Last of the Mohicans" on my Kindle. (I love my Kindle)  Now I can do two books at a time.  I sure I'm slow in coming to this revelation, but it's good to know that this old dog can still learn a few new tricks!

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Suz said...

I'm an old foggie
If I listen to a book...I fall asleep
and the kindle...nah I love the feel of a book cover in my hand
...old foggie..like I said
glad you can I love that book

10:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home