Thursday, January 13, 2011

Two days ago I extended birthday wishes to Amy, a facebook friend.  Amy was my locum manager for my assignment in Syracuse.  Today she answered me: Amy Hoffer: "Thanks Bob....how's the job?"
As *Cab Calloway sang; "I love to singa......."

I too am an inveterate songster, breaking out in song at the slightest provocation, anytime anywhere.  No matter what quip or comment anyone makes in the course of normal conversation I can come out with a song lyric using those words.  Not a conjured up song, but the lyrics to well known songs.

So.  As I was contemplating how to answer Amy, I thought to myself; how do I feel about my new job and immediately this Al Jolson tune popped to the forefront of my consciousness:

 I'm sitting on top of the world,

Just rolling along
Just rolling along
I'm quitting the blues of the world
Just singing a song
Just singing a song
Glory hallelujah,...........


♫                             
    * I love to sing-a

About the moon-a and the June-a and the spring-a,
I love to sing-a,
About a sky of blue-a, or a tea for two-a,
Anything-a with a swing-a to an "I love you-a,"
I love to, I love to sing!

Give me a song-a
About a son-a gun that went and done her wrong-a.
But keep it clean-a,
With a cottage small-a by a waterfall-a,
Any sob-a that will throb-a to a bluebird's call-a,
I love, I love to sing!

I was born a singin' fool-a,
Lah-de-dah!
Ol' Major Bowes is gonna spot me,
Got through Yale with boula-boula,
Lah-de-dah!
Old microphone's got me!

I love to sing-a,
I love to wake up with the south-a in my mouth-a,
And wave a flag-a,
With a cheer for Uncle Sammy and another for my mammy,
I love to sing!

The swingin'est,
Hot singin'est,
Bell-ringin'est,
Song singin'est
High tootin'est,
Sky tootin'est,
I love to sing!

Oh and since Willow tells us the photo prompt is of old french sheet music, how about:

"
♫♪
"To Francewere returning two grenadiers,
Their Russian captivity leaving...."
 

from a solo I sang to the tune of the Marseillaise in my junior year of high school.

Labels: , , , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Tess Kincaid said...

Sounds like you like the new job! ;)

12:21 PM  
Blogger Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

wow,
you are in musical mood.
good luck on your job and have fun every day.

love your entry.

1:31 PM  
Blogger Helen said...

I may to slip into my tap dancing shoes!!!!

1:34 PM  
Blogger Suz said...

wow..happy
my husband does the same thing with songs....how do you both remember them all?
our kids groan

1:50 PM  
Blogger Jinksy said...

I'd be happy to sing a duet with you! LOL :)

2:40 PM  
Blogger Churlita said...

I always speak in song lyrics. It's totally normal, right?

1:57 PM  
Blogger Lucy Westenra said...

Cole Porter claimed he good do (sort of) the reverse - i.e. make up a song based on any phrase he picked up in a conversation. This (some say) is how "Miss Otis Regrets" came to be written.

Interesting Magpie

9:32 AM  
Blogger signed...bkm said...

born a sing'n fool....more people should be born that way...the world would be a better place...bkm

8:01 PM  
Blogger The Blog of Bee said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

9:05 PM  
Blogger The Blog of Bee said...

I think you can probably give up the day job! We need more people like you.

I learned about Al Jolson from my father not from My Mammy!!

9:07 PM  
Blogger Kathe W. said...

we should all have jobs we can sing about...and I don't mean the blues. Clever and creative!

10:16 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

A wonderful attribute to be able to conjre a song to everything! Had not thought about Al Jolson in a long time, is it PC to do so? Lots of song here and glad you are rollin' along in that new job!

3:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home