Thursday, January 06, 2011

 The "news" like sports draws only as much interest as it relates to the direct impact on our lives; our comfort zone/income.

Say what?

Through-out their growing up years, my, now adult, children played various sports.  I attended a fair number of their contests and came to the realization that the umpires/referee's decisions were  accurate only if made in favor of my kid's teams.  Amazingly, during some tournament action I would be watching two teams play that one of which was not ours;  the level of referee accurateness improved greatly!

So it is with the news.  I try to stay abreast of current events by reading at least one but often 2 or three newspapers everyday.  In addition I, most evenings,  watch a network news program, and on occasion watch CNN and Fox.  Unfortunately, they tend to raise my level of cynicism and reinforce my beliefs that humanoids are incapable of learning from the past and therefore are doomed to repeat, endlessly, the same faux pas 'til the end of their time.

"If history repeats itself, and the unexpected always happens, how incapable must Man be of learning from experience."

- George Bernard Shaw

In any event, I try to take a view of detached interest to the news unless, however, it threatens to disrupt my status quo.

Now you want to know what incident in the news has upset my apple-cart enough to write something about it.
Sorry, just reflecting on my disinterest in most headlines today.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Churlita said...

You tease! I thought you were going to tell us what was REALLY chapping your hide.

12:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home