Tuesday, January 11, 2011

One of my numerous calenders for the new year is "This Day in History."
Today's item reminded me of my dad, who, among other things was a gifted singer with an impeccable ear for music; he taught himself to play the trumpet, (Coronet).  He was a regular in the local minstrel shows and musicals.  Growing up in my house was like living with Bing Crosby, Dean Martin, and Tony Bennett.  Which is why today many of my favorite songs were first heard when sung by dad.  Dean Martin was and is the singer I try to emulate when ever I belt out a song, which is quite often.

In 1928 my dad was 8 years old.  That was the year on this day, the 11th of January,that Bing Crosby recorded "Ol' Man River."

Bing Crosby, one of the most celebrated crooners of all time, recorded the hit song "Ol' Man River" from the musical Showboat with Paul Whiteman and his orchestra .

I have a record in my collection of my father singing "Ol' Man River."  Dad was probably in his late twenties or early thirties then.

Personally I think he did a better job than Bing. ;)



Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Puss-in-Boots said...

I like Paul Robeson singing Ole Man River. My father and a couple of uncles played cornets in brass bands years ago. Showboat was a great movie but those "old" movies are compared with musicals of today. Am I showing my age??

7:06 AM  
Blogger The Blog of Bee said...

I love old musicals and Showboat is a favourite. My father was born in 1921. He too had a great voice (the Irish in him) and i grew up listening to the greats. We used to sing duets together and that's how I can always 'name that tune'!!! Daddy never had a music lesson in his life (unlike me) and played the piano, accordion and mouth organ.

This is a great blog and only one of the reasons that I am giving you a 'stylish blogger award' which I hope you'll accept from my page.

3:55 PM  
Blogger Churlita said...

Your dad sounds wonderful...And better than Bing? How cool is that?

4:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home