Sunday, April 01, 2012

Magpie # 111

image: ParkeHarrison

Over & over I’ve heard you,
Over and over.  Always from
Women;                                 
Poets and otherwise, adoringly
They refer to you.

I’m appalled, a Roman Catholic,
Schooled in the sacrilege of
Suicide’s
Mortal sin.
Don’t speak too loudly
If at all.

How can you
Glorify her?

And so, never have I read your verse;
You are an abomination,
And besides, you are a poetess
Who drivels in metaphor, simile,
Ancient references…
Abstrusely!
I read you today-
You’re alive within
Me.

So clear in your obtuseness,
I sense if not feel
Your pain.
      I’m your convert…
        Say hello for me
            To your
              Father-
And mine,
        Should he pass by.



Labels:

14 Comments:

Blogger Brian Miller said...

heh...

plath? or another victim of their own hand...suicide is rough but i figure if gods got a problem with it he can judge, in the mean time i will enjoy them all...

love that you finally read and let her get inside of you...and perhaps turned your own beliefs a bit...with her in the afterlife now

4:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm struggling to find words for this. Its impact is heavy, let's just say that. You captured well the judgmental tone of those who wage war against an act, a concept, a belief and in the end, change their minds and embrace what they once despised. Suicide, abortion, murder. You have tackled this topic well.

~Shawna
rosemarymint.wordpress.com

4:37 PM  
Blogger Lyn said...

I won't take this personally..whoever she is..good luck to both of you..poetesses/ poets, aren't always sensible!

11:22 PM  
Blogger Wayne Pitchko said...

i really like where you went with this...great poem

11:50 PM  
Blogger Sueann said...

Sharply saddened by an act so final..yet can we still celebrate a life so handled?
Intense
Hugs
SueAnn

6:31 AM  
Blogger Kathe W. said...

Heavy and tense. Well done.

1:43 PM  
Blogger Tess Kincaid said...

I'm glad she's alive within you now...excellent write Rel...one of your best...

6:24 PM  
Blogger Silent Otto said...

Sharp edges Rel, razor slashing stuff !

10:55 AM  
Blogger Tumblewords: said...

Finely lined. Deep and strong.

7:45 PM  
Blogger Jinksy said...

Now that's clever...

5:50 AM  
Blogger Susan Anderson said...

I like where you took this, and I especially appreciated the ending.

=)

11:57 AM  
Blogger Churlita said...

So well written, I could feel the initial judgment and the eventual forgiveness. Beautiful.

5:18 PM  
Blogger Helena said...

Hey! Hey! Rel, this has to be in my top ten Magpie's. I really could feel every line.

5:10 PM  
Blogger paisley said...

having been a fervent fan of plath since my tender years i recognized her right away.. may she reside within your dark halls forever,, as she walks with me forever in mine..

10:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home