Sunday, October 14, 2012

Mag#139
 
Midnight Snack, 1984, by Curtis Wilson Cost




Hoot, Hoot, Hoot.
Awake now to the sounds
Of nature’s “lesser” creatures;
Coons and possum scrabbling
About the crawl space under
My Thoreau cottage.

Toss apple wood in the
Franklin and stoke the coals.
Turn up the kerosene lamp;
Sit in the willow rocker and
Contemplate my
LaBastille lifestyle.

 A Euell Gibbon’s snack of
Wild hickory nuts, rose hips,
And dried blue berries
Washed down with cool spring water
Satisfies my hunger
Sufficiently

 
This is the life:
The simple life of
Helen and Scott.
Off the grid.
Back to basics:

Eat, sleep, procreate.

 


8 Comments:

Blogger Lee said...

I love it! And I love that painting. It's wonderful.

I eat and sleep...but there ain't no procreating going on!!!

Take good care, Rel.

6:40 PM  
Blogger Tess Kincaid said...

Yes...the essentials...everyone needs a Thoreau cottage...

7:44 PM  
Blogger Jinksy said...

Back to basics is good if you can get it...

4:44 AM  
Blogger Laurie Kolp said...

Nice... I do love blueberries!

8:03 AM  
Blogger Kay said...

love the simplicity of your tale..x

3:15 PM  
Blogger Susan Anderson said...

Nice. All that is needed...

=)

2:57 PM  
Blogger Kathe W. said...

great post- ah the simple pared back life....and I'd forgotten all about Euell Gibbons!

4:39 PM  
Blogger Churlita said...

Beautiful poem.

4:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home