Wednesday, October 29, 2014

So, about my gaydar




Today's writing prompt, on a writing site I've recently joined, First 50 Words – Prompts for Writing Practice , was "so, about my gaydar." I did a double take, more than once, to make sure I was reading correctly.  I thought it might be a misspelling or a foreign phrase, but in the end I was left with the inevitable choice to go to Google and search out this "neologism," that was totally unrecognized by this self proclaimed wordsmith.
Sure enough, there was the word and its definition: gaydar

A sense that allows for someone to detect homosexuality in another.

Reflecting on this, to me, new word and definition, I determined immediately that I have zero gaydar, while my wife on the other hand has the uncanny ability to spot gay people within a few minutes of meeting them.

Not that it matters one iota to either of us whether an acquaintance is gay or straight.  I guess I just don't look for clues as to anyone's sexual orientation.  I'm a live and let live sort of guy.  Unless of course you are a mean-assed, rude, impolite asshole, then I'll just not like you, period.

 


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home