Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Things that make you shake your head in disbelief

File under things that make you go hmmm, then shake your head in disbelief.
An acquaintance of mine had a series of health crisis during the second half of last year (2014.). He suffered a stroke, a heart attack, and had a pneumonectomy to treat lung cancer.  Yes, he was a smoker; like a chimney.  Miraculously, he recovered quickly from all these incidents and returned to work.  I heard that he had quit smoking and thought; too bad it took such health catastrophes to prompt him to quit.

Disclaimer:I smoked for 33 years and it took me ten years to quit.  So I do know how difficult it is to quit.

This morning as I walked to work I saw this acquaintance leave his apartment and walk toward a coffee shop a few blocks away.  He was, perhaps, 3/4 block ahead of me.  But there was no mistake when I saw his right hand go up to his face and the lit end of cigarette glowed in the darkness.

I'm still shaking my head in disbelief.

6 Comments:

Blogger Lee said...

I often wonder how my head is still attached to my neck because I shake it so much.

I smoked for years but I gave up cold turkey four years ago...no problems. I enjoy smoking, but I won't ever take it up again.

Like you, I would've been shaking my head, too, at the sight of your acquaintance lighting up. But...that's his choice, I guess...as stupid as it may be.

6:05 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

I meant to type " I enjoyed smoking"....

6:07 PM  
Blogger Magaly Guerrero said...

Self-destructive addiction is one of those terrible things I will never fully understand. I used to work with individuals who lived with HIV and AIDS. Some were illicit drug users who had to give up the habit or die--most antiretroviral drugs don't play well with illicit drugs. I saw people give up methamphetamine, just to pick up a cigarette. The results were sad and ugly... and painful.

I still can't understand why. So I join your head shaking. I hope he sees reason soon... before it's too late.

11:54 PM  
Blogger Magaly Guerrero said...

P.S. Congrats on quitting, especially after such long use!

11:55 PM  
Blogger Helena said...

My dandruff is floating everywhere as I join in with the disbelief!

5:20 PM  
Blogger Churlita said...

That's too bad. My uncle is the same way. he can't have surgery to fix a possible aneurysm unless he stops smoking, and we just won't Quit. So sad.

5:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home