Wednesday, May 20, 2015

All work and no play

My wife likes the statement, "write drunk; edit sober," and she likes to attribute it to Hemingway, who, in all likelihood, did not utter those words.  We know he wrote and successfully.  We've heard of his exploits, both with spirits and the ladies.  But if he was able to write drunk and remain coherent, then kudos to him, for I find it impossible to maintain a train of thought long enough to write it down when drinking.  I admit that the flow of thoughts and ideas is prolific when I've loosened my self-conscious reticence with a drink or two or three.  Blending those thoughts into a sensible train is another matter altogether.  Hemingway not withstanding, my thoughts are running to consideration of change and it's good and bad qualities.  Change is constant and many, if not most, times I relish change; it's a chance to learn, and expand experience.  But change that is forced upon one isn't always embraced with welcoming arms.

When I took my present job there were 9 anesthesia practioners on staff.  In two years that number has shrunk to 5. Initially there was sufficient non-work time to enable me to go to the gym everyday, which was rewarding.  At the same time I found it convenient to stop by the grocery store, just across the street from the gym, when I was finished with my workout and on my way to the apartment.  With the reduction in staff the work load remains constant and so, I've been lucky to get to the gym one or two days a week and haven't been to the grocery in 3 weeks.  My satisfaction with the situation has lessened and I'm reconsidering my options/choices.  I still enjoy my work but when my days become; work, eat, sleep; repeat X 5, I feel like Jack of "all work no play" fame..  I didn't create or invite the change, but change came just the same and the attractiveness of the situation that brought me here has lessened. 

It is beginning to look as though I will be considering a change to offset the change imposed by circumstances over which I had no control.  The new paradigm doesn't work for me.  I'm at the point in my life/career where I require more off time and less work time, not vice versa.



1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Yep, I've been there, Bob. I worked from home during the last few years of my employment. The hours were great, four mornings a week but as time went on, I worked longer and longer hours and sometimes during the weekend. The crunch came when I received a phone call with the message that I wasn't putting out enough work! (I was a medical transcriptionist for a private orthopaedic practice and had been with them for 11 years). Needless to say, after that, I decided to finish up and retire. There is nothing worse than working one's butt off and feeling unappreciated.

Good luck with whatever decision you make, Bob. I've never regretted mine.

5:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home