Thursday, September 24, 2015

The seven deadly sins



Words vs action; too often the dichotomy gives rise to cynicism.  The pope, head of the Catholic Church, spoke to a joint session of congress.  I admire his words and philosophy; his ability to hold fast to the catholic dogma in the face of too many examples, world wide, of man's inhumanity to man.

Even if a congress, at loggerheads on most issues, could  come together in an ecumenical fashion, I doubt they could bring about any meaningful change in humankind's, centuries old, addiction to: wrathgreedslothpridelustenvy, and gluttony.  

If nothing else, the pope's speech makes us focus inward to evaluate our own inequities.  And therein lies the solution to the world's problems. We listen to him bescheech us and we think, well he's not talking about me but if everyone else would  follow his pious direction we'd be okay.

I'm sorry to say, but I think only catastrophe or calamity might brings us to our knees in repentance.  Some believe that if Christ or some Christ like being were to arise in our midst, to lead us, we'd be saved.  But no, I think we'd crucify him again.

I truly believe that the answer is for each human to follow the Ten Commandments or some similar tenet. Then, and only then, will we see peace and harmony reign in our world.  If not, we'll become like the dinosaurs; extinct.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lee said...

It'll never happen during my lifetime...I doubt it will ever happen - because humans never learn.

12:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home