Sunday, July 16, 2017

Dream noises


     Two and a half hours after snuggling in the arms of Morpheus, I'm dreaming.  The specifics of the dream leading up to the critical event elude me.  I'm at the top of a stairway with a sack of groceries in my arm; one of those brown paper sacks of old.  There is an abundance of canned goods in the bag and one falls out of the over stuffed sack, ripping the top of the bag just enough to allow another can to fall in pursuit of the first.  Then like a cascade, the cans hit the oak hardwood stairs with resounding bang, bang, booms. Over and over again until I approach wakefulness and the thought; wtf, I didn't have that many cans in the bag.

Groggily my eyes squint open and come to that fleeting realization of a dream fading and reality foggily establishing itself.  But wait; the cans are still banging down the steps; bang, boom, booooomm, bang, bang, boom.

I get up and open the bedroom door and come into the living room to witness Diane and Crystal watching the neighbor's setting off a spectacular fireworks display to rival Morristown's 4th of July fireworks.

" You missed it" they said.
"I can't believe you slept through all those explosions " Diane said.

Sleepily I replied, " I thought it was cans falling down the stairs!"

Peels of laughter echo off the camp walls, drowning out the sounds of tumbling canned goods.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So how many glasses of vino before tumbling cans?

10:53 AM  
Blogger Churls said...

ha ha ha ha.

10:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home