Friday, December 01, 2023

Sleep habits after retirement.

 


It's Friday, December 1st, 2023 and I'm at my laptop writing about my woes as they relate to my sleep habits.  At this exact moment, it's 0234.  Please note that I've been up and awake since 1210 AM.  The delay between getting up and coming to write about it just demonstrates my life long habit of giving in to procrastination too often.  But here I am; finally.

At 9 PM last night, one hour later than my usual bedtime, I climbed between the sheets.  I'm thankful for a lifelong habit of being able to fall asleep literally a few minutes after my head gets comfortable on my pillow.  My issue is that 3 hours later, I'm wide awake. That is not enough sleep time to satisfy the sleep experts and my Smart watch.  To be honest, I'll get one, for sure, and maybe 2 naps in throughout the day and usually accumulate 7 + hours of sleep in a 24-hour period.

Three years past my retirement date at 75 years of age and 4 years from my expected life span (the expert's divination) end and I'm worrying about my sleep habits.  When I complained about this to my primary care doctor this past May at my bi-annual check-up he said, "Bob, you're 78 years old, it's ok to take naps and have less energy than in your earlier years."  I listened and nodded my head in agreement, but inside said to myself, "the calendar my say I'm entitled, but my mind refuses to accept that I must act old."

Fifty years of employment programed my circadian rhythm.  My routine over that span of time consisted of: bedtime at 8 PM, if not working in the OR on call.  Awakening and arising at 3:30 AM, Pee, coffee, ruminate. At 4:00 AM be in my gym working out. 5 AM, in the shower. 5:30 prepare and eat breakfast and at 6 AM leave for the hospital to work.

So early rising is the norm for my life.  Getting only 3 - 4 hours of sleep is not my norm.

It seems, as relayed by the "experts," that this is the norm for people as they age.  Whoop-dee-doo, I'm "normal."  As if that's supposed to make me feel better.  These same experts advise that to prevent this early awakening, one must get more exercise, don't eat a large meat less than 3 hours before bedtime, and keep to a regular routine.   They also recommend less screen time (TV, and blue light devices.)

I get plenty of exercise, much more than most people my age; I play pickleball 4 - 5 days a week for at least 2 hours per session, plus I get 6,000 to 10,000 steps of walking in daily.  I rarely eat a meal after 5 PM.  I am, however, a worrywart and stress over anything and everything. Too often, when awaking after only a few hours of sleep it's some problem I'm worrying about that wakes me, and the only thing to do is get up, I refuse to lay in bed awake, and distract myself, usually by reading my ever-present book or write something.  Imagine a self-proclaimed writer actually sitting down and writing.  However, recently I have begun journaling my daily activities.

Anyway, that's it for this morning.  Just felt like putting it down in writing.  No solutions offered, no prognostications.  Just putting it out there.

Now I'm faced with the decision between preparing breakfast or going back to bed; I'm a little tired but not sure enough so as to fall asleep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home