Tuesday, January 01, 2008

2008:
It Begins!





A happy New Year! Grant that I
May bring no tear to any eye
When this New Year in time shall end
Let it be said I've played the friend,
Have lived and loved and labored here,
And made of it a happy year.
~Edgar Guest











To each and everyone who comes upon these words, whether a casual next blog clicker, a regular blog commenter, a family member, a friend, an acquaintance, a seeker of Google images; Erma Bombeck's Best loved child, or Grandpa Walton's Christmas wish.....

I extend my wish for you to experience a Happy New year. Whether your year lasts for only a moment or ,God willing, a full 365 days, Make it the best that you can. Try and try again, that's all you can ask of yourself.

As for me, I'm thankful that I've been granted the years I've had. Anything more is a bonus.

I have a loving wife with whom I celebrated a forty year wed anniversary in July.

Our Children our a testimony that sometimes you get it right even though sometimes you make mistakes. They are our legacy and We couldn't be more proud of them and for each of their accomplishments.

I have a brother and sister who love me more than I deserve. But I accept that love and cherish it!

I have a shipload of friends who tolerate my idiosyncrasies, and support me over and over.

All of my patients in the past year recovered uneventfully from my invasive anesthetic interventions.

My friend Leigh continues to support my attempts to enjoy the physicality of life. We entered and completed the 90 mile Adirondack Classic Canoe race.

We were able once again to travel to France for two weeks. New friendships were forged and old ones renewed. It was a superb experience.

Two stays at the B&B at 10 Fitch in Auburn, NY, were escapes that refreshed and renewed our spirits as well as stimulating our senses both physical and gustatory. The first stay was a gift from our Children. The second a mother's day get together with 2 of our 3 children and their companions.

D. had a wonderful and rewarding trip to Spain with 2 girlfriends and they successfully tested their physical and mental resolve by completing a 75 mile portion of the Camino.

I was able to hone my prose and poetry skills through participation in Sunday Scribblings, Poetry Thursday, One Deep Breath, and Writer's Island. Wherein I met a wonderfully supportive group of fellow writers.

One of many moments of gentle humor, I penned this poem in May

June, July and August on the Shores of the mighty St. Lawrence River.

A great Father's day weekend.

Joined the Shameless Lions Writing circle, and adopted the lion: Zaccharias

I purchased, read, enjoyed and sent a copy to my grand-daughter, the Book Faeries of Dreamdark. Blackbringer by Laini Taylor. Laini is co-host of Sunday Scribblings.

Celebrated the 4th of July, reveled in the glorious profusion that is our flower and vegetable gardens and enjoyed hazy, lazy, crazy days of summer along the banks of our river.

Said good-bye to Poetry Thursday! :((

Visits from Carolyn, Chris and Cassandra, moon eclipse, and a Perseid shower gave points to remember in Aug.

A September birthday in France

October brought an auspicious birthday for D., and a story of heroism for our middle child.

November saw a contribution to the Shameless Lions Collective story, Thanksgiving week in Texas with family including grand-daughters, a belated birthday party with pinata extended to a mtg in San Antonio,

The crown of the year was Christmas.


2007 had it's ups and downs just like every year but on balance I think it was a year to be thankful for.

We will open the book. Its pages are blank. We are going to put words on them ourselves. The book is called Opportunity and its first chapter is New Year's Day. ~Edith Lovejoy Pierce

2 Comments:

Blogger Jeanne said...

How very lovely is everything you shared.........
Blessings for a bright beautiful New Year for us all
Love Jeanne

9:34 AM  
Blogger tongue in cheek said...

What a wonderful way to recap a joyful year.
May this New Year be as promising and full, happy and good, healthy and inviting!

Happiest New Year!

8:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home